1-25-10 at 2:30 pm EST
I never made a flight to Atlanta. We sat on the tarmac for 2.5 hours before returning to the terminal, which is apparently the limit. Long story short, the flight was cancelled and it was a day wasted at the airport along with 30 other stranded passengers. I rescheduled my flight for this morning—MEM to JFK to Rome! The flights looked clear and I was not stressed as many may not believe by this point. If you know me well, you may that I am not a patient person; however, I have just been along for the ride on this one. It’s out of my control and the Big Man in the sky is watching out for me. After discovering that my luggage made it to Atlanta without me, I asked my grandparents to retrieve me from the airport. Another night in my bed and another hot shower? I couldn’t complain. It actually worked out for the better because I got to go to Target to get a new shaving razor since mine had broken the night before. AND I purchased a calling card to use upon my arrival in Rome, which had previously slipped my mind.
This morning I arrived at the airport at 7:45 am with just my backpack for my journey to Rome. I added a few extra shirts to my bag since I will more than likely not reunite with my checked bags till the end of the week. Apparently, Delta isn’t allowed to send my luggage internationally till the confirm that I have boarded an international flight. SO, my luggage is hanging out in Atlanta for a while I guess. Another thing, I’m just not worried about. I figure I’ll make new friends and borrow clothes if I need them. I arrived at gate B13 surprised to see the same gate agent from the previous day. When she handed me my ticket, she said I certainly deserved it, and I agree! I looked at my ticket and FIRST CLASS here I come. I’d never flown first class before, so I was a little excited. I boarded the plane through the Breezeway and was the only female in first class. Welcome to a man’s world. I quickly fell asleep after takeoff and when I woke up the flight attendant was prompt to see that I was comfortable and doing okay. She said I had missed breakfast, but she could bring it right out to me. I obliged. Figuring out how to use the tray wa s the trickiest part. It comes out of the armrest and unfold across your lap. When breakfast arrived I was shocked at the selection. It included a bowl of Cheerios, a sesame seed bagel (along with an assortment of spreads of course), a bowl of fruit with the biggest strawberry I’ve ever seen, peach yogurt, orange juice, and, the best part, 2% MILK—my favorite! It will probably be the last time I get 2% milk the way I like it for a long time so you know I savored it. I ate every bite just because it was available to me and I don’t know the next time I’ll eat (because I’m trying to save money—you’re welcome, Mom). After stuffing myself, I passed back out and awoke as we landed in NYC. I am now sitting at the gate in NYC and my flight leaves in 2.5 hours. There are 16 seats open in first class, so I’m looking forward to another luxurious experience as I travel 8.5 hours to Rome.
People are beginning to arrive at the terminal and I haven’t heard English yet. Reality check! I am about to be in a foreign country and not know the native language. I am relying on my use of gestures to get by till I meet up with more Americans. I figure there will be enough English-speaking personnel at the airport that I will be okay—or so I hope. I arrive in Rome at 8:15 am Tuesday morning. Since I am a day late, I have to catch a cab to the Grand Hotel Palantino. My Italian Phrasebook and Culture Guide will be my lifesaver. It has taught me to only get in a yellow or white cab upon arrival, use a taxi with a meter and if I don’t negotiate the fare prior to getting in the taxi. How hard can it be, right? We’ll see in the morning I reckon. I am still waiting for that initial shock to set in that I am leaving America and all its luxuries behind for 4+ months. I get that I’m gonna be the foreigner for the first time and all that jazz, but I feel like I should be more apprehensive or scared or freaked out or something. I’m just not. Am I prepared? Eh…Kinda. The only thing I am actually worried about is getting pickpocketed. I am a blonde American female and will stick out like a sore thumb in Italy. Easy target. I have locks for my bags and my purse zips. I still scared something’s gonna happen, and all my money will be stolen. Eek! However, I am prepared for it and will be watching over my stuff like a hawk.
Since I’m bored in the airport, I am going to continue writing though I don’t really have much to say. As a side note to this blog, please note that I am not trying to be grammatically correct and type as if I’m in conversation. I will be writing on the fly so please don’t think this is a real reflection of my writing. I swear I know good grammar and whatnot.
As far as people go that I know/have connections to in Florence. There are just a few, so I’ll list them.
1. Catherine Bodie—She goes to UT with me and is in my sorority. She tried to convince me to go to Rome when we were planning our trips abroad, so I assumed that’s where she was headed. Ends up, she is Florence bound too and will be attending the same school as me. We are in different programs so we won’t be going through orientation together or anything like that, but she is living right by our campus and I know that we will hang out on the reg. (*Note: On the reg. means regularly for all those who aren’t up to speed on my abbreviated lingo). She leaves today too, but is going straight to Florence. We’ve been chatting about our excitement for months.
2. Kate Larcom—Talk about a small world. As many of you know, I was a Senate page in DC during high school. One of my good friends who was also a page, Alex Covalt (AC), attends Creighton University in Nebraska and Kate is his girlfriend. I friended her on facebook, and we became instant friends. She seems super sweet, and if she’s dating AC, I know I’ll like her. Can’t wait to meet her!
3. Alex Knust—AC’s roommate. We haven’t chatted, but we’re facebook friends. I’m sure he’ll be a cool guy.
4. Whitney—Whitney is a sister of Sydney. Sydney is married to Wes, who is my mom’s best friend’s son. In short, Debbie Pope’s daughter-in-law’s sister. Follow that? Whitney is married to an Italian chef and lives in Florence. We have yet to meet or talk or anything, but I think she knows I’ll be in Florence. She’s more of a safety net for my mom. If something happens to me, Whitney can be a base of communication I guess. Who knows if we’ll ever really meet?
That’s all I know. I’m running out of thoughts and this is already way too long. Next time I write, I’ll be in Italy. I don’t have internet access in Rome without a steep fee, but I get to Florence Thursday so be looking for more posts this weekend.
Ciao!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment