Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My Very Own Flat Stanley!


Written: 3-21-10 (regarding 3-6-10 through 3-13-10)

On March 6, a great thing happened in my life. Katie Mittura (a fellow sorority sister and amazing friend of mine) came to visit from TN for her spring break. Leading up to her arrival, I wasn’t feeling so hot and my throat was not feeling up to par; however when I saw her it was food for my soul. She was a good dose of home! BUT there was one little disappointment. What, you might ask…she was peanut butter-less. You see, here in Italy, peanut butter is buyable, but it’s SOO expensive for so little. So, I asked Katie to bring me my favorite condiment, but the security people in Nashville just weren’t having it. She apparently was treated like a terrorist as they searched her carry-on for the unknown substance. So though the JIF didn’t make it to Europe, Katie at least put in a great effort.
Everywhere we went, I was sure to document her presence. She was my ‘flat stanley’ for the week. If you aren’t familiar with flat Stanley, let me explain. Flat Stanley is a paper cutout from some childhood book e read at some point. The purpose is to take Stanley all over and take his picture at each place. I am unsure of the real purpose behind flat Stanley, but it’s a fun kid’s thing nonetheless. Katie was a great Stanley. She visited Manarola (a gorgeous coastal town, experienced major jetlag, held up the Leaning Tower of Pisa, attended the Fiorentina vs. Juventus soccer game (which was quite a new experience for the both of us), shopped at the market where “Ciao, bella!”” was left ringing in our ears, visited Rome where we stayed with a friend of mine and hit up all the major Roman tourist sites (Coloseum, Roman Forum, Palantine Hill, Vatican City and St. Peter’s Basilica, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps…), climbed to the top of the Duomo (all 463 steps!), had a few fun nights out on the town with friends, and last but not least enjoyed great “girlfriend time” catching up on each others’ lives.
Now, let me elaborate a bit. The Fiorentina v. Juventus soccer game was first on the list. As soon as Katie arrived, we were on a marathon run to the ticket office and stadio (stadium). The fans are so intense. I can’t even put into words Italians passion for soccer, or futbol as it is called here. To explain their intensity to you, let me describe the mad house we sat in. As I have learned from previous experience, the cheap seats and rowdy fans sit behind the goals and fairly far up for the best view of the entire field. The opposing team has two sections of the stadium dedicated to them both of which are encased in thick, riot proof glass walls. Then, the two section surrounding the opposing team’s section are off limits and guarded by security. Juventus at the time was ranked number 5 in the league and Fiorentina is just a so-so team at the moment, but still great nonetheless. Within the first 5 minutes Juventus scored and Fiorentina fans weren’t so happy. However, before the half Fiorentina pulled a killer play for a goal! The following occurrences were all simultaneous and outrageous. As the crowd roared at a tied game, Fiorentinas in the sections behind the goal and closest to the opposing team sections (aka where I was sitting) went absolutely nuts! They all stormed the glass surrounding Juventus, swearing at the Juventus fans. The guards tried to fight back the crowds, but failed miserably. Fans of all ages were screaming profanities and flashing inappropriate gestures like it was their job. As we stood there not knowing what to do, my friends, Katie, and I were all shocked/dumbfounded/confused /scared/happy/excited/and more. We simply didn’t know what to think. It was the craziest things I have ever seen, well maybe. But regardless, it was out of control! Then, as the game continued, the fans just calmly walked back to their seat and watched the game like nothing had ever happened. The guards took their stand again and all was well. One thing I learned was to never mess with a fan unless you want a riot to pursue. They are crazy about their soccer!
Manarola is one of 5 towns included in Cinque Terre (cinque means 5), which is a coastal destination in western Italy. We simply hung out here for a few hours and ate great food (as always), but it was absolutely GORGEOUS! I thought I would never see anything as gorgeous as Elba ever again, but this is competition! It is beginning to dawn on me that every coast in Europe is breathtakingly beautiful! It’s just unreal; and, once again, pictures do no justice. I am going back in April with my study abroad program and truly cannot wait!
Our journey to Roma did exactly happen as planned but plans are made to be broken. After missing our cheap, slow train Wednesday morning, we decided to take the fast train a few hour later for a few more euros. When we arrived at the train station, it was delayed 5 minutes…then 15….then 30….then 45…then 80…then 35 (false hope!)….then eventually 115 minutes!! What!? THEN the train had engine failure on the way, so what was supposed to be an 1.5 hour ride was a 2.5 hour ride. We could have taken another slow train at this rate. After finally making it Roma in the afternoon instead of the morning, we met up with a friend from TN who studies in Rome for the semester, dropped our stuff at his apt., and headed to Vatican City. I’m not going to lie here. I was a little skeptical of paying to see the same things I saw a month and a half ago, but I couldn’t let Katie come to Rome and not do all the great sites. And I’m so glad!!! The Vatican was so much better than when I visited it jetlagged and fresh off the plane from the states. Our tour guide was 100% better than before, and I appreciate what I saw so much more now. Rome is one of those cities that has so much history that you have learned about your whole life and can’t help but be interested in. It makes Julius Caesar a real person rather than a Shakespearean character. It brings Gladiator to a whole new level. It makes Roman history come to life, literally. It’s just one of those places that is too cool not to love. Needless to say, we had a great time even if I did miss my first 2 classes of the semester. Totally worth it!
Speaking of classes, you may think “2 classes? That’s all? You’re good!” At least, I know that’s what is running through all my friends’ minds. But let me tell you, our attendance policies are tight! 2 absences, the 3rd drops you a letter grade, and the 4th drops you from a class. SO, class it is! In fact, I have been to class more this semester than any other semester in college. Not because I need to, but because I want to use my other absences as travel days in April. Haha. Just being honest!
The rest of the week was a great time with Katie. Granted she got to come to Europe and stay for free for spring break, which is unbeatable in itself, but I felt so loved! I am truly blessed to have great friends. I miss you all dearly and wish you could experience all the things I am doing.

Everywhere I go, I am reminded of someone. Dad, you would love the alps even more than you think. Mom, you would kill for Murano glass. Marion, you would die to have the jewelry on the Ponte Vecchio. Johnnie, you would great Italian red wines. Lauren, you would fall in love with every Irish boy you met. Tess, you would be able to help me when I cross paths with Germans or travel to places with that crazy language. Fish, you would have the best day biking in Lucca. Jenna, you would run every day just to go to Piazzale Michelangelo and take in the views along the River Arno. Anna, you would laugh daily at my attempt to interact with the locals. There is seriously at least one instance I have thought about just about every person reading this blog at one point or another. I can just imagine my Granddad half way up the Matterhorn in the Alps or my Popie relishing in our Irish heritage in Dublin.
Below are a few life highlights at the moment. I love and miss you all!

Last week—Aced mid-terms and still was able to celebrate my Irish heritage on St. Patty’s Day
3/19—Spring Break Commenced (2 days in Dublin, 2 days in Barcelona, 2 days in Madrid, and 2 days in Seville all with JENNA!!!)
3/27—Mom visits!!!!!!!
3/28—Vespa tour with Mom and Jenna through Chianti
And, I just found out last week that Dad and Marion are coming to visit in May!! Daddy, I hope you’re ready for the best birthday trip ever.
So, I admit, it’s a little difficult to complain about anything in life with the experience I am having. Thanks, UT and parents! I'm livin' la vida dolce!

1 comment:

  1. Kelsey!! I had the best time with you! Reading this made me miss you even more! I hope you are having a wonderful time with your mama and I can't wait to see your pretty face again! Love you Boo!
    katie

    ReplyDelete