Midterms are over, and it’s spring break! As I write this on my flight from Dublin to Barcelona, I will freshly recap my experiences in Ireland. It all began early Friday morning.
00:45 Caught a cab to the train station across town (Europeans use military time for signs, but speak using 12-hour time—weird.)
1:47 Train departure to Bologna
3:13 Arrival in Bologna
4:12 Train departure from Bologna to Milan
6:45 Arrival in Milan
7:00 Bus departure to Milano Bergamo (airport)
7:45 Arrival at the airport
10:35 Plane departure to DUBLIN, IRELAND!
11:55 Arrival in Dublin
12:45 Bus departure to City Center
1:30 Arrival in Dublin City Center and walk to hostel
Yes, I travelled for over 12 hours using 5 forms of transportation (including foot) just to get to another place in Europe. Should have thrown in a ferry while we were at it, huh? Europe isn’t quite as close and easy to navigate as it may seem. My first interaction with an Irish person was at customs. He was such a friendly gent. He saw my last name, and asked if I was Irish. Luckily, my Popie informed me last St. Patrick’s day that I do have Irish blood in me. The man responded with a, “Glad to have you claim Irish! Welcome!” I smiled as he stamped my passport (first stamp besides Italy—check!) Then my mind started working. Woah! Backup, that’s English. You mean, I fit in here? People have blonde hair? Blue eyes are normal? English is on every sign not just meant for tourists? I can communicate with every citizen in this country strictly through speech. Needless to say, it was refreshing to be in a place that was so English! Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love Italy and wouldn’t choose to study anywhere else, but being able to read signs and talk with the people in stores is refreshing.
The people we very friendly and the accents were charming. The men were very attractive, but the old men were creepers. The women all dress up like barbies to go out and aren’t very nice, but who really cares. During our time in Dublin, Jenna and I had a blast! She had already been there for a few days before I arrived, and I flew in with a group of girls from Florence. On Saturday, there was a Scotland vs. Irish rugby game in Dublin, so the city was packed with Scottish people too. I felt like I was truly getting the full UK experience. These Irish men were crazy though! Obviously hardcore fans, they all wore Scottish kilts and rugby jerseys. The pubs were infested with these kilt wearing, stein-of-beer drinking, song singing, rugby rooting men. It added quite a new character to the Temple Bar area. After the Irish dance show we attended, Jenna had a brilliant idea to get a picture with some of these crazies. As we approached the rambunctious group, they quickly welcomed us and asked us of our whereabouts. When I pridefully replied with “America!” one man scowled a bit and replied with, “Oh! Canada!” After bantering for a moment, I was convinced that Canada was a better reply since the Scots like them better and it’s practically our 51st state anyhow, right. This brings me to a point that I can’t resist but discuss. Americans stick out like a sore thumb in Europe. Let me make some generalizations. We are ignorant, loud, stupid and self-righteous. We want everyone to speak our language and know our customs. We make no effort to fit in with any other culture and expect everyone to understand us. Though not quite as obvious in Ireland and obviously not true of everyone, it’s a pretty accurate depiction of Americans in Europe in general. I try so hard to fit in, especially in Italy. Yet, it’s so hopeless. The more I try, the more I stick out. I have accepted that I stick out in other countries, but in Italy, I just want to be Italian. Is that so much to ask? Maybe one day… On with Dublin though! So long story short, these drunken men proceed to tell us they are wearing kilts because they’re fan, give us Scottish temporary tattoos applied with Guiness, and take a picture with us. However, when one man asked if I knew how a kilt was traditionally worn and informed me that they wear no underwear, I didn’t quite know how to react. I’m sure my expression was priceless when my jaw hit the floor. Though I can think of hundreds of responses now, my response went something like this. “Oh. Well. Okay.” And that was that. We left with Chief tats, a pic for memories, and a lesson in kilt wearing.
Another Irish experience was my adventure to Howth with Jenna on our last day in Ireland. It is a seaside, fishing town with gorgeous views of the coast. We basically went to see the Irish countryside. It was everything you think it would be.
No comments:
Post a Comment