Bittersweet Life
As my time in Florence comes to a close, I can’t help but reflect on the amazing memories I have in this city. I have made incredible friends, eaten delicious food, learned the ways of a new culture, and discovered a passion for travel. This post may be long and choppy, but bear with me.
A few memories I’ll cherish…
1. Watching the sunset in Fiesole
2. Eating dinner with Florentine elite
3. Studying on the Ponte Santa Trinita (Santa Trinita bridge)
4. Watching the sunrise at Piazzale Michelangelo
5. Being woken up on an overnight train ride for a passport check
6. Being lost on a 2 hour run to Piazzale Michelangelo
7. First nights out with Sarah
8. Learning Captain Pepe from Lorenzo
9. Being introduced to apertivo at Noir
10. Scarfing down food at Kitch Due with Martino and friends
11. Owning VIP with Sar and Whit at Twice
12. Munich (too many moments to name)
13. Sailing around Capri
14. Cliff jumping in the Alps
15. Colosseum pub crawl with cousins
16. Pisa Tower photoshoot with Whitney
17. Disastrous Venice weekend for Canavale—haha
18. Going to Billa with Bruno for dinner supplies
19. Having tours by an amazing tour guide (city, Uffizi, and Pitti Palace)
20. Jenna becoming the 4th roommate
21. Rome with Katie and Nick
22. Breakfast in Plaza de Armas in Sevilla with Jenna, Tolleybag and Oigo
23. The disaster after missing our flight to Madrid
24. Tuscan vespa tour with Mom
25. Strolling through Boboli Gardens with Mom
26. Best dinner ever at the Four Seasons with Whitney Webb thanks to Maurizio
27. Giving Bruno his computer and the look on his face
AND SO MANY MORE….
A few things I’ll miss…
1. Eating at Trattoria Nella (mainly the Gnocci al Gorgonzola)
2. Passing Palazzo Vecchio on my way to class
3. Trying to notice something new about the Duomo each day
4. Monday night dinner at the boys
5. Bruno dinners
6. Running along the Arno River
7. Having bread and oil at every meal
8. Living across the street from a minimarket
9. Walking through San Lorenzo leather market
10. Limoncello and digestifs
11. 2 euro Chianti
12. RyanAir…NOT
13. Traveling like it’s my job
14. Living an hour from the Mediterranean
15. 1 euro gelato at La Carraia Gelateria (COOKIES!)
16. Raging at 21
17. The chinky teal walls in my apartment
18. Sleeping between Whit and Sar
19. Lazy days with ch131.com
20. Running a hostel
21. Showing people around mia citta favorite—Firenze
22. Dante’s dinners
23. Cheap cheap pasta
24. Learning new things daily
25. Intercambio with Walter
26. LIVING the ITALIAN LIFE!
AMONG OTHERS…
A Few Things I’ve Learned...
1. Pack light. Then pack lighter. Your back will hate you if you don’t.
2. PLAN trips in advance because if you don’t you’ll pay!
3. Don’t assume people around you don’t speak English—odds are that they do!
4. Try to use what you know of a local language. It will be appreciated.
5. Make friends with storekeepers/waiters/bartenders. It will pay off!
6. Skype to stay in touch, but don’t skype like it’s your job.
7. Try new things. You may just like it!
8. Choose travel partners wisely. They will make or break your trip.
9. Power touring is great, but don’t forget to take time to enjoy each thing/city.
10. Food is the best part of each culture! It can tell you so much about where you are.
11. Soak up every minute because whatever it is it will end too soon.
12. Don’t put it off till tomorrow because tomorrow is today.
13. Doing things cheap teaches you more about where you are. Often, doing it for cheaper is better.
14. Smiles go farther than you think.
15. A good attitude gets a good attitude in return.
16. Welcome everyone because they all have a history that you don’t know.
17. When travelling back to back, plan it all one by one.
18. Everyone can teach you something. You just have to be willing to learn.
19. If you think stereotypes are generally correct, you need to take a closer look.
20. Don’t take for granted what you have because everyone has more than they appreciate.
As cheesy as it is, my experience abroad has taught me more than I could have imagined. A lot of what I have learned cannot be written in a book or taught to others, it’s the experiences that a person has that really matter. My theory is that someone can tell you all about a place and describe it (it being a place or a culture or people) in detail, but you will never know till you go see and experience it for yourself. The best things in life are indescribable—much like my experience abroad. That being said, there are definitely things I can’t wait to get back to in the states.
Things I Can’t Wait to Get Back to in the States…
1. Family esp. my precious twin nephews
2. Friends
3. Subway
4. Convenience
5. Affordable peanut butter
6. Reese’s
7. Big coffee (not espresso shots)
8. Customer Service
9. Driving where I want when I want
10. Cushy airlines
11. ENGLISH!
12. Guilt-free laziness (to an extent)
13. Trees and grass and yards
14. Consistently warm weather
15. 24 hours food/stores
16. Food variety
17. Radio music
18. Kroger
19. Cheap toiletries
20. THE DOLLAR!
21. BBQ Sauce and Ranch
22. Salted bread
23. Long, hot showers
24. Stars
25. TARGET!
AND MORE…Yippee!
Being abroad is the most rewarding thing I have ever done and may possibly be the most rewarding thing I will ever do. To this day I still ask myself if I am in a dream. How did I get here? Why do I deserve this? Should my parents be in my shoes right now? I hope that everyone reading this gets to experience something similar in their life. There is so much to the world. Go see it!
Parents, I hope that one day I can repay you for being you. Y’all are awesome, and I am so thankful for such a supportive family. I can’t wait to see you!
This is my last Ciao from Firenze! Next on the list, Paris and Morocco! Two extremes that I can’t wait to discover!
No comments:
Post a Comment